So Devin and I are looking at WebORB for work, since we’re (hopefully) wrapping up our XML over HTTP nightmare, and have no interest in repeating it.
The .NET guys are doing their own research into WebORB, but we wanted to take a look from a Flex Developer angle, plus neither of us is a .NET guy. Hell I’m not even a "Windows guy" anymore. Makes my skin crawl ;)
At any rate, big thanks to Mark, for helping us through the set up, which if you’re not a .NET developer ain’t raindows and inicorns. More like chupalacabras and toe fungus.
To start, I had to get IIS installed on XP (Devin is on Vista, his experiences were a little rougeher than mine, and thankfully he went first my set up didn’t take too long.) no biggy, go grab my XP disk. (One note, this is all being done in Parallels.)
I assumed I’d have to install .NET 2 since Devin did on Vista, but some how I already had it. that’s a plus.
So, step one now. Run the WebORB installer. No problems there, kudos to Mark ‘n company.
Not sure if this next one is a webORB, Windows, Mozilla, or planetary alignment issue, but the links for the webORB management console, diagnostics, etc won’t directly open. I have to copy the URL from the shortcut and paste it into FireFox. Weird, but whatever, easily handled with a bookmark.
Management console loaded and I see a familiar screen, Devin got it too. the console loads, but only with documentation tabs, no actual management, deployment, etc tabs. no .NET 2
Back to IIS, looking in the WebORB virtual directory, and sure enough ASP.NET no version is selected. Why? Beats me. I select v 2.0.25727 (I think that’s the number) and hit apply.
Back to the Console, still nothing. I try the diagnostic url, provided with WebORB. Errors. Great at least I know what’s wrong. I fixed the problem before thinking about posting this so no screen shot, but the error was something to do with metabase permissions in IIS. I have no idea what that means.
The erros offers a link to the knowledgebase, so I go there, read a little. I find out there’s a tool to register IIS ,NET or something with something else. Sorry it’s not more technical, but it’s all M$ weirdness, I can’t fathom.
Thankfully when Devin and I hit this error on his box, Mark sent us a great write up on what to do…
1. Open a command prompt window
2. Change current directory to
3. Run the following command:
So, i run that and head back to the diagnostics…. no errors!! I feel like a contestant on that old game show, "No whammies, no whammies, no whammies!". I hit refresh on the management console and am greated by all sorts of sweet looking WebORB deployment and management options.
Now the fun part, getting a .NET back end CRUD set up without knowing a single thing about .NET
I’ll keep you posted!