My Questions on ColdFusion and Flex remoting projects

by John Wilker in EffectiveUI

I’m working on making my wife’s website over as a Flex app.

Since it’s currently a CF site, I figured I’d do it as a Flex remoting project. In getting it set up it occured to me I haven’t deployed a project like this to a hosted environment.

Flexcoders is great but searches for ‘Remoting’ and such tend to lead to results that make me cry :)

So I figured I’d just post and ask the question, "How do you deploy a Flex project that is set up for remoting, to a hosted environment?"

There it is. I asked :)

9 Responses to “My Questions on ColdFusion and Flex remoting projects”

1. Bruce says:

My blog is on hosted by Crystal Tech. Whenever I’m working on a Flex app with a CF backend I test the app-CFC connectivity by just uploading a barebones Flex app (with an alert box that pops up when the CFC results are returned).

The key for me is to get the path correct to the CFC in the mx:RemoteObject tag. If your development environment is setup with the same directory structure as your hosted environment there usually isn’t any problem.

Also, if you’ve haven’t done a Flex – CFC app yet on that host, make sure they are running the correct version of CF
    (I think that its supposed to be 7.0.2?) otherwise mx:RemoteObject using a CFC will not work.

2. David says:

Dude, I swear I saw a blog post about this recently – specifically with Host My Site. I can’t for the life of me find it though. I saw it on a CF blog aggregator. If I come across it, I’ll post back.

cheers,

David

3. John Wilker says:

@Ben,

thanks but i actually was speaking more deployment wise. Using CF I’ve got, no problem. I was wondering more about how to deploy to another server. IE in Flex builder I set up the project to look at my local dev box etc. what has to happen when it’s deploy time?

4. I'm flattered someone not only read my post, but linked to it.

In theory your local remoting file is generic like this:

So long as the flex2gateway is set up properly on your domain, you should have no problems. ( You're good here: http://johnwilker.com/flex2gateway/ ). If you get a 404 error, then the Flex remoting config is a bit screwy.

If you've hard-coded server name, server port, and/or the context root in your local services config file, you're in trouble.

5. I’m flattered someone not only read my post, but linked to it.

In theory your local remoting file is generic like this:

So long as the flex2gateway is set up properly on your domain, you should have no problems. ( You’re good here: http://johnwilker.com/flex2gateway/ ). If you get a 404 error, then the Flex remoting config is a bit screwy.

If you’ve hard-coded server name, server port, and/or the context root in your local services config file, you’re in trouble.

6. Bruce says:

My blog is on hosted by Crystal Tech. Whenever I'm working on a Flex app with a CF backend I test the app-CFC connectivity by just uploading a barebones Flex app (with an alert box that pops up when the CFC results are returned).

The key for me is to get the path correct to the CFC in the mx:RemoteObject tag. If your development environment is setup with the same directory structure as your hosted environment there usually isn't any problem.

Also, if you've haven't done a Flex – CFC app yet on that host, make sure they are running the correct version of CF

7. John Wilker says:

@Ben,

thanks but i actually was speaking more deployment wise. Using CF I've got, no problem. I was wondering more about how to deploy to another server. IE in Flex builder I set up the project to look at my local dev box etc. what has to happen when it's deploy time?

8. David says:

Dude, I swear I saw a blog post about this recently – specifically with Host My Site. I can't for the life of me find it though. I saw it on a CF blog aggregator. If I come across it, I'll post back.

cheers,