My next new adventure begins

This week, at 360|Flex I accepted a job. Not just any job, what I believe will be THE job. No Tom and I aren’t quitting our day jobs to do 360|Flex, in all likely hood, that ain’t gonna happen for a long while, if ever, who knows.

Rather, I’ve accept a job at as Community Evangelist.

I’m really stoked! It’s something I’ve been looking at for a while now, as possibly my next step in my career evolution. I love writing code and don’t see that stopping really, though it will no doubt lessen, and be more along the lines of demos and POCs, etc. I’m really excited about this opportunity! I came up with what I felt was a good job description, and EUI, agreed, and we all shook hands, then Andy hugged me, then the rest lined up and hugged me.. kinda weird but hey, you know I might get used to it ;)

I’ll be helping take some of the pressure off the team to be at events, blogging, etc (thought they’ll certainly continue to blog and speak, etc, since they’re more interesting than me.) and to help be a public figure for EUI, in the twittersphere, blogosphere, real life-o-sphere, etc :)

I’ll be making sure the cool things that EUI is working on, are out there and being seen, since they (we, I guess now, LOL) are doing some really cool stuff that the rest of the world and Flex-dev-o-sphere should know about.

Wish me luck! See you at 360|MAX

I’ll also be offering my community building expertise (that sounds showy, I don’t think it’s the right word) to clients as they role out applications, and such.

Wait, what about 360|Flex?

If you’re wondering how this might impact 360|Flex, it doesn’t. EUI made it clear when we were talking, that they didn’t want anything special on that front, they’d earn and pay for sponsorships like any other company. Speakers will still be picked on the merits of their topic, same as always. Which is good since I had no intention of providing special treatment, or preference for speakers. I’m really proud and happy that they brought it up first, that says a lot to me, and certainly eliminates one potentially awkward employer/employee moment, LOL.

360|Conferences, inc. is a separate entity, run by Tom and myself and short of being purchased outright, it’ll remain independent and objective regarding sponsors and speakers. So for anyone worrying about that, don’t 360|Flex ain’t changing, well it actually is, all the time, but not in that bad, schilly kind of way. :)

I will say it’s great to have an employer that is actually even remotely interested in 360|Flex. I’m thrilled to work for someone that appreciates the efforts and supports them!

I’ll be starting with EUI on 9/2

21 Responses to “My next new adventure begins”

1. Congrats John!

Good luck with your new position, and thanks for another great conference!

-Chris

2. Dan Wilson says:

Congrats are definitely in order. Though, I’m not sure who got the better deal. You get a sweet dream job and they get the most qualified person on the space.

Here’s a raise of the glass to you bro!

Dan Wilson

3. Real happy to hear this and welcome to the Team.

4. Jun Heider says:

Nice dude! Congrats! Glad you found a place to land. :)

5. RJ says:

Hooray! Welcome to the team! I can’t wait for you to start – I have a big stack of work on my desk for you. :P

6. I mean, everyone knew when they saw him dropping Napoleon Dynamite style mom jokes on Twitter that he was in, right?

Welcome to the team, John.

7. Congrats Mr. Wilker, sounds like a good fit for you. Enjoy yourself.

8. John Wilker says:

@Tony,

Figured I should work on getting in the habit, seemed the thing to do :)

@Ben C
    oh now I’m Mr. Wilker? I’d say that ‘Mr.Wilker’ is my dad, but he’s just ‘dad’ I think mr. Wilker must be the phycist that comes up when I ego surf my name. :)

Thanks all!

9. Rachel Luxemburg says:

Congratulations John! You’ll kick butt, I’m sure.

Rachel

10. polyGeek says:

Fantastic news man. I’m really happy for you.

11. Tom Ortega says:

I’d say I’m surprised, but I’d be lying. It’s about time someone steps up and snags ya for something other than coding.

You’ll rock the hizzy, I’m sure. Show the rest of the world how this is done and pave the way for others to follow in your wake.

Congrats!

12. Impressive move, on both ends. I’m interested to see how a community will be built on an agency rather than a platform. If someone can figure it out, I’m sure it’s you.

13. John Wilker says:

@Chuckstar,

Excellent point, my goal isn’t building community around EUI, it’s more keeping EUI in the community and strengthening those bonds. It’s also helping EUI’s clients build community around their projects. Though if there’s an opportunity to build an EUI community I’m all over it! :)

14. John Wilker says:

@Tony,

Figured I should work on getting in the habit, seemed the thing to do :)

@Ben C
    oh now I'm Mr. Wilker? I'd say that 'Mr.Wilker' is my dad, but he's just 'dad' I think mr. Wilker must be the phycist that comes up when I ego surf my name. :)

Thanks all!

15. RJ says:

Hooray! Welcome to the team! I can't wait for you to start – I have a big stack of work on my desk for you. :P

16. John Wilker says:

@Chuckstar,

Excellent point, my goal isn't building community around EUI, it's more keeping EUI in the community and strengthening those bonds. It's also helping EUI's clients build community around their projects. Though if there's an opportunity to build an EUI community I'm all over it! :)

17. Rachel Luxemburg says:

Congratulations John! You'll kick butt, I'm sure.

Rachel

18. Chuck Freedman says:

Impressive move, on both ends. I'm interested to see how a community will be built on an agency rather than a platform. If someone can figure it out, I'm sure it's you.

19. polyGeek says:

Fantastic news man. I'm really happy for you.

20. Tom Ortega says:

I'd say I'm surprised, but I'd be lying. It's about time someone steps up and snags ya for something other than coding.

You'll rock the hizzy, I'm sure. Show the rest of the world how this is done and pave the way for others to follow in your wake.

Congrats!

21. Dan Wilson says:

Congrats are definitely in order. Though, I'm not sure who got the better deal. You get a sweet dream job and they get the most qualified person on the space.

Here's a raise of the glass to you bro!

Dan Wilson