Tag Archives: Wordpress

New and improved johnwilker.com

After tapping one of my good friends for some of his mad SQL skills, as well as dusting off more of mine than I intended to, I’ve now successfully moved johnwilker.com over to a hosted wordpress blog site.

Same Domain, same feed (assuming you’re using the feedburner feed, sorry Sim, but you can use this one)

A few comments got lost :( No posts did though (I think). It turned out to be much more manual than I expected. I’m still re-categorizing old posts, I’ve done 5 of 23 pages of posts in the admin, sheesh!

There’s a few reasons for the change. As much as I love BlogCFC, it was time for something a bit more robust and widely used. Mainly from the third party options stand point. Twitter updates, and other plugins, themes, etc. Using third party tools like Ecto or Marsedit to post. Or posting from my phone, consuming Flickr feeds, etc.

Ray’s done a damn good job, and my wife’s blog is still blog CFC. My Personal blog (which will be closing down in favor of a single point of contact (this blog), is still BlogCFC as well.

I also use WordPress for the EffectiveUI blog, so having a single admin to master is kinda nice.

There were also some small annoyances with BlogCFC that crept up during the last update I performed; inserting a link was a multi step process. the first time I inserted a link, it would use some weird javascript thing, with a string of numbers. I’d have to go back to the link and edit it re-pasting the URL. Very likely a PEBKAC thing, but still annoying, and with my new and varied responsibilities, digging around in CF isn’t likely to be a priority for me :(

Future dating of posts was very frustrating. Ray and I worked on it for a good couple weeks, and I think it just comes down to not being a big part of BlogCFC. When possible I write blog posts days in advance. That worked pretty well with BlogCFC, however, if for some reason I had to change the post date, all hell broke loose. Unfortunately, that’s a common occurence, as I sometimes blog about things that won’t be public until a certain date, and sometimes that date changes (despite my frustrations, LOL). Inserting rich media like youtube, etc was hit and miss too.

Like I said, most if not all of these hassles could be solved by tinkering, but I just don’t have that leisure now. the WordPress community is huge, godzilla huge!

Writing for the Denver Metroblog, the various 360Conferences blogs, and the EUI blog, I got used to working with Ecto. It’s nice to have a native mac app to do my blogging through. However I couldn’t use that tool with BlogCFC.

So here I am, on WordPress. Let me know what you think :)

setting up WordPress on a mac, easy minus one lame small gotcha

I’m installing Word press locally on my work laptop so I have a test bed for something bigger that I’m doing. I found an old OS X 10.4.x blog post guide, which was really helpful, until it got to connecting Word Press to mySQL.

Then I lost all sense of self, and slowly went insane, for an hour.

I’m no dummy, but man, setting up PHP and Word Press on my mac was PAINFUL.

Getting PHP up and running, check.

MySQL. been there done that, check.

word press install, no check. kept getting “error connecting to database”

Googling revealed many posts on this topic, in the Word Press forums, the MySQL forums, and Apple. All talking about where the mysql.socket is kept, and how it should be in one place, but isn’t and many ways of working around that.

No joy.

Finally I did another search for Word Press on 10.5.x, which yeilded even more threads on the database error topic.

Then 6 months ago, on this thread, jonokane posted this gem,

Followup: After spending what seems like an absolutely ridiculous amount of time on this, I have figured out the embarrassingly simple issue.

localhost != Localhost

My Mac identifies itself as Localhost, NOT localhost! Learned something extremely obvious…. :)

So the config should look like this:

It certainly shoulda been obvious! I know the Mac is *nix, and capitalization is key, but it was just too close, too obvious. It was also the default, so it never occured to me to think on it.

So, lesson learned, and now, next time I do this. This blog post will light my way!