What a stupid AIR problem to have

by John Wilker in Technology, Work

Lately I’ve become very fond of the expression “This is a stupid problem to have”, the other night I got to use it in relation to AIR.

I’m working on a tool to view (hopefully) live survey data for when we have booths at conferences. We’ve come up with a simply iPhone survey, and want to be able to see the data in, more or less, real time.

I’ve been working on it, largely at the office, checking the code into SVN when I’m going to work from home. At some point in the last few days, I ended up with Flex Builder 3.0.2. Probably my best friend Adobe Updater.

The other night, I wrapped up at the office, checked in all my code, went home, fired up Flex Builder. When I went to test the app, ADL fired up, then immediately vanished. weird. Tried a few more times, still no joy. Restarted Flex builder, restarted my Macbook, nothing. Checked to make sure my Flex Builder was up to date, it was.

After finally giving up, I check back at work, app runs. Then I check to see if that Flex Builder was up to date. It wasn’t, 3.0.1, so I updated. Ran the app. ADL vanishedright after launching.

I decided to run the app in debug, see if that revealed anything. It did sorta. The message was just about useless, something to the effect of “The app crapped out before the debugger could connect”

I say just about useless, since it was enough to lead me to Cameron’s blog, where he mentioned an error he had gotten. It wasn’t the same error, but since I had just moved from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 and AIR 1.5 had recently been released, I figured I’d check it out. Sure enough in my app descriptor it was set to 1.1 for AIR.

Now I certainly don’t need Adobe to hold my hand, but really, maybe just a few more descriptive error messages, shoot I’d take a message that gave me a few possible causes that I could run down on my own.

Why make things harder than necessary? What a frustrating waste of a night, just because Flex Builder and ADL couldn’t suggest I check my app descriptor.

3 Responses to “What a stupid AIR problem to have”

  1. TJ Downes says:

    yup, the app.xml has been the source of a number of headaches for me after upgrading my AIR runtime and/or FlexBuilder. ive made it a habit to make this the first thing I check after doing an upgrade if I get errors

  2. jwilker says:

    Guess I'll be making it part of my process too! GRRR

  3. dhiraj says:

    Further problem: When you actually use the AIR namespace in your application (I've got it like 5 times) to pick up resource strings (I use it for current version number, for example) – I cannot find a way to use the namespace other than the exact literal string! Variable assignment simply does not work for namespaces.

    This means that I have to actually to a filesearch on the namespace URL and modify the namespace in all 5 places. That really is a stupid problem to be forced to deal with.

%d bloggers like this: